After a long gray and gloomy winter some of us just can’t wait for the sunny days of spring and summer to finally come out. With the many health benefits of sunshine it is a most wonderful time of year.
Just What Are the Health Benefits of Sunshine?
- Sunshine increases your body’s vitamin D levels. So if you don’t like taking supplements and would rather do it the natural way, soak up some more sunshine.
- Vitamin D is needed in order for calcium to be absorbed properly in the body. Without Vitamin D, bones can become weak leading to a lack of bone density and eventually osteoporosis.
- Sunshine is known to lower blood pressure when exposed skin absorbs its powerful rays and releases nitric oxide into the blood vessels. It is this nitric oxide that lowers the risk of heart attack and stroke.
- Sunshine makes you feel good. It causes a surge of serotonin and endorphins. This in turn produces an increase in energy and a mood lifting experience.
- Sunshine helps your body produce more melatonin and it is this melatonin that helps you get a better night’s sleep.
How Much Sunshine Do You Need In a Day?
Only 10 to 20 minutes of sunshine is needed every day to enjoy all of these health benefits.
What If You Plan To Be Outside In the Sunshine For a Longer Period of Time?
If you are going to be outside in the sunshine for more than 20 minutes then you definitely need to wear sunscreen.
Sunshine is a wonderful source of vitamin D and all of its benefits, but too much of a good thing often isn’t good. So if you plan to be outside for more than 20 minutes be sure to apply sunscreen before you head out.
No one wants to end up with a sunburn and the afternoon sunshine can be very intense. This is especially true if you are enjoying activities on the water where the sun’s rays will reflect off of the water.
Just remember to use a waterproof sunscreen if you intend to get wet. Otherwise look for a sunscreen that will work with your skin type. The more sensitive your skin is the higher the SPF of the sunscreen should be that you use.
Do you live in state that has lots of sunny days?
Count yourself truly blessed if you live in an area that gets a lot of sunny days. Up north, sunshine can be a scarcity in the winter months.
But now we all know what to do when the sunshine finally does comes out again. Let’s make it a habit to get at least 10 minutes of sunshine on each and every sunshiny day.